Housing for students with disabilities

Your accommodation can have a significant impact on your study experience and general health and wellbeing; you want it to be comfortable and safe. There's often a long wait for accessible housing as the demand is high so it is important to be proactive and organise accommodation well in advance. UniSA Accommodation Services staff can provide personalised advice and help you make informed choices about housing to suit your individual needs, whilst the website provides information about housing options, help and advice, ideas for share housing and provides long-term and temporary accommodation choices.

Accessibility and location

The Rental Property Checklist can help you plan suitable accommodation for your needs.  It is also important to consider any access considerations you may require.  For instance if you have difficulties with mobility you may want to check whether the house has a lot of stairs or whether there is parking on site or nearby.  It is important to be aware of regularity of public transport services in your area especially at night and in weekends. This can be done through the Adelaide Metro website.


The Government of South Australia has a lot of information on their website about disability services in South Australia and resources available.   If you need assistance in the home to help you stay independent, there are many organisations and community groups which can help.  You can find a financial counsellor in your area through the South Australian Financial Counsellors Association website.

Tips on managing money and a free online budget planner is available on the MoneySmart website

Community housing

Housing associations provide housing to people with high needs and on low incomes or specific groups in the community, such as people with disabilities. Housing associations and housing cooperatives charge rent at a rate affordable on your household income. To be eligible to apply for community housing you must first meet the basic criteria set by the government. You must then also meet any additional eligibility criteria set by the housing cooperative or association you are interested in. More details about this can be found on the Government’s Renting from Community Housing Organisations website.