UniSA recognises that its staff and students have a wide range of carer responsibilities outside of their work and study.  There are times that these responsibilities compete with the demands of study and work.  The University is committed to providing reasonable flexibility in the conditions of employment and enrolment. Download Access and Inclusion: Carers in Higher Education.

Students who are carers

The University recognises that many students have responsibilities to provide care that can impact on study. A range of options are available to assist students in managing the competing demands of study and care provision.  Students who are the primary carer of a person with disabilities should contact an Access and Inclusion Adviser if they wish to register for support. 

Provisions are determined on a case by case basis and supporting documentation such as eligibility for carers benefit or medical documentation is required.

Students who require carer assistance

The Access and Inclusion Service can assist in facilitating the provision of care support on campus for students who require personal care. The Access and Inclusion Service can help in areas such as facilitating car parking for personal care on campus, assistance scheduling class times to allow provision of care, and help with access to facilities on campus for supported personal care.

Staff who are carers

The University recognises that both prospective and current staff may have responsibilities to care for family members.

For prospective staff, where the University is made aware of the need for flexibility due carer responsibilities, it will consider what reasonable arrangements can be accommodated while weighing up the impact on business needs.    

For existing staff, the University offers a range of flexible work arrangements and leave, including carers leave, family responsibility leave and compassionate leave.

The University provides paid leave for staff for the purpose of meeting carer responsibilities. This paid leave is available for continuing and fixed term staff only. A staff member is entitled to access their accrued personal leave entitlement for absences to provide care and support to a relative, partner, member of household or a member of a kinship group.