Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems (popularly known as drones) are regulated by the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) under the Regulation CASR Part 101 - Unmanned aircraft and rockets.

The University of South Australia has a number of requirements and obligations related to CASR Part 101. The information regarding regulations and registration requirements apply to the following groups:

  • Anyone operating or intending to operate a drone on UniSA property
  • UniSA staff and students operating or intending to operate a drone outside of UniSA property, but as part of a project related to, or in conjunction with UniSA
  • External providers (videographers, surveyors, etc.) who wish to operate a drone on UniSA property, or for projects related to, or in conjunction with UniSA

A summary of the key information regarding CASR Part 101 and how the University of South Australia manages its responsibilities in terms of compliance and insurance is as follows:

  • UniSA does not have a Remotely piloted aircraft Operator's Certificate (ReOC)
  • For the purposes of the CASR Part 101 Regulation, all UniSA drone operations are considered to be “commercial”
  • UniSA maintains a register of those who have a drone and how it is operated
  • UniSA will provide advice on how you can operate safely, within regulations and with the appropriate insurances

If you have a drone at UniSA, you must contact us (links on this page) and provide details of the aircraft, and discuss how you would like to operate it.

Anyone operating a drone as part of any University activity is required to comply with the above and any instructions provided by the responsible officer or their proxy.

Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA)

CASA provides essential information for flying drones safely.

CASA Drone Information

CASA Drone Rules

Drones at UniSA - Forms

For general enquiries or to submit a drone notification, please use the forms below.

General drone enquiries

 Drone notification details

Approval for Drone Operations

Frequently Asked Questions

Contact Us

If you have a drone at UniSA, you must provide details of the aircraft and details of operations BEFORE you operate the drone. We are happy to answer any questions you may have about the use of drones at UniSA, and we have contacts within CASA who can provide further advice.

Professor Anthony Finn
Responsible Person
Liam Murphy
Compliance and proxy for Responsible Person