Vice Chancellor and President, Professor David Lloyd
David Lloyd is Vice Chancellor and President of the University of South Australia. A Dublin-born and educated chemist who specialises in computer-aided drug design, Professor Lloyd has re-focused institutional culture to position UniSA as Australia's university of enterprise and to shape its activities to better meet the challenges of the 21st century.
Professor Lloyd was a member of the South Australia Economic Development Board (EDB) from 2014 to 2018. A past Chair of the Australian Technology Network group of technology-focused universities, he now sits on the board of Universities Australia, the peak body representing the university sector where he is the lead vice-chancellor for research & innovation. He was also recently appointed to the Australian Research Council’s (ARC) Advisory Council to provide advice to the ARC on key research policy issues, to lend independent strategic guidance and experience that will strengthen the ARC’s ability to support research and innovation in Australia.
Before joining the University of South Australia, Professor Lloyd was Vice-president for Research and later Bursar and Director of Strategic Innovation at Trinity College Dublin. Professor Lloyd was Chair of the Irish Research Council and prior to academia, worked in the pharmaceutical industry in the UK. He holds an honorary Professorship from Tianjin University and is a Fellow of the Royal Society of Chemistry.
Professor Lloyd qualified with a Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Applied Chemistry and a PhD in Medicinal Organic Chemistry from Dublin City University. He additionally holds an MA (j.o.) from Trinity College and an Honorary Doctorate from the late Sir Terry Pratchett’s Unseen University.
Enterprise25, our statement of strategic direction continues the evolution of our University which since its inception has demonstrated a commitment to change and innovation. We embrace the challenges that face our sector but remain true to our own mission as an open and accessible university with the determination to chart our own course.
Enterprise25 places People, Programs and Precincts at the heart of the university’s operations out to 2025.
Office of the Vice Chancellor and President
Level 4 Hawke Building,
Professor David Lloyd
Executive Assistant to the Vice Chancellor
Areas of study and research
- UniSA Cancer Research Institute
and Social Sciences
- Art, Architecture and Design
- Communication, International Studies and Languages
- Psychology, Social Work and Social Policy
- Barbara Hardy Institute
- Australian Centre for Child Protection
- Asia Pacific Centre for Work Health and Safety
- Behaviour-Brain-Body Research Centre
- Centre for Cognitive and Systems Neuroscience
- Centre for Islamic Thought and Education
- China-Australia Centre for Sustainable Development
- Creative People, Places and Products Research Concentration
- Design Research for Health & Wellbeing
- Digital Transformations Research Group
- Hawke EU Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence
- Research Centre for Languages and Cultures
IT, Engineering and
- Future Industries Institute
- UniSA College