China-Australia Centre for Sustainable Development
The China-Australia Centre for Sustainable Development (CACSD) is a research partnership between the University of South Australia and Tianjin University in China.
Through collaboration with governments, the private sector and global research institutions, the Centre’s mission is to develop innovative strategies and technologies for sustainable urban development in the Asia-Pacific region.
It is expected that 70 per cent of the world population will live in urban areas by the year 2050 and in particular the Asia-Pacific region will experience rapid urban growth over the next 20 years. With over 50 per cent of China’s population currently living in cities, uncontrolled growth, pollution and waste is a pressing issue.
Targeting air and water pollution, severe traffic congestion, quality of life issues, housing, health, resource depletion and environmental degradation, the Centre's goal is to create more sustainable urban environments and to facilitate sustainable urban growth whilst minimising its negative impacts on the environment.
The Centre’s main priorities include:
- Low Carbon design, development & construction
- Pollution and waste reduction in the urban environment
- Implementing the Circular Economy
Learn more about the Centre
Areas of study and research
- UniSA Cancer Research Institute
and Social Sciences
- Art, Architecture and Design
- Communication, International Studies and Languages
- Psychology, Social Work and Social Policy
- Barbara Hardy Institute
- Australian Centre for Child Protection
- Asia Pacific Centre for Work Health and Safety
- Behaviour-Brain-Body Research Centre
- Centre for Cognitive and Systems Neuroscience
- Centre for Islamic Thought and Education
- China-Australia Centre for Sustainable Development
- Creative People, Places and Products Research Concentration
- Design Research for Health & Wellbeing
- Digital Transformations Research Group
- Hawke EU Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence
- Research Centre for Languages and Cultures
IT, Engineering and
- Future Industries Institute
- UniSA College