Exciting new partnership
The new Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between UniSA, Australia’s university of enterprise and leading defence system company Saab will focus on collaborative research and teaching opportunities in the South Australian defence sector.
The collaboration will form a new Saab Australia-UniSA Defence Technologies Institute. Located in a new purpose built wing at Saab’s Mawson Lakes Headquarters, the Institute will make a significant contribution to the delivery of a defence skilled workforce for significant Australian projects which are planned for the next 20-30 years.
The unique environment will provide a host of opportunities for collaboration. UniSA students in STEM related fields will work on real-world placements with Saab and related supply chain companies to build industry experience that will equip them for successful defence sector careers. High achieving students will be offered longer internships. For generations to come, graduates from this partnership will build a skilled, technologically savvy workforce with defence capabilities.
The partnership between Saab and UniSA will also filter into academia. Teaching and curriculum materials will be co-created in order to train students not only in the latest technological advancements but provide the practical skills required to deliver effective projects.
This will provide defence sector professionals with the chance to upskill and build on their existing knowledge which will have a two pronged effect, one for the individual – to progress their career, but also for industry – providing a rapid infusion of the skills needed to build a superior defence force.
UniSA Researchers will also work on joint projects with Saab and defence professionals to deliver world-class solutions across key projects in South Australia now and well into the future.
The Saab Australia-UniSA Defence Technologies Institute is an extension of the long-term partnership held between Saab and UniSA and is an example of how universities and industry can work together to contribute to the future growth of South Australia.
For more information please contact:
Deputy Vice Chancellor: Nigel Relph
Ph: (08) 8302 0061
Media Release - New Saab-UniSA Institute to build next generation defence skills in SA
The Advertiser - SAAB Australia to invest $40 million on Defence Institute ahead of SA’s expected defence jobs boom
SAAB Australia will invest about $40 million to establish a Defence Institute at Mawson Lakes in partnership with UniSA to prepare South Australian workers for the state’s expected defence jobs boom.
Your First Line of Defence - Defence Industry Expertise and Engagement at UniSA
Ranked as one of the fastest moving young universities in Australia, the University of South Australia is firmly focussed on future industries and supporting defence excellence and expansion.
Areas of study and research
- Health Research
- Alliance for Research in Exercise, Nutrition and Activity (ARENA)
- Centre for Cancer Biology
- Centre for Drug Discovery and Development
- Centre for Population Health Research
- Centre of Research Excellence for the Prevention of Chronic Conditions in Rural and Remote High Risk Populations
- International Centre for Allied Health Evidence
- Medicine and Device Surveillance CRE
- Quality Use of Medicines and Pharmacy Research Centre
and Social Sciences
- Art, Architecture and Design
- Communication, International Studies and Languages
- Psychology, Social Work and Social Policy
- Hawke Research Institute
- Asia Pacific Centre for Work Health and Safety
- Australian Centre for Child Protection
- Barbara Hardy Institute
- Centre for Research in Education
- Hawke EU Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence
- Centre for Islamic Thought and Education
- International Centre for Muslim and non-Muslim Understanding
- Research Centre for Languages and Cultures
- Zero Waste SA Research Centre for Sustainable Design and Behaviour (sd+b)
IT, Engineering and
- Future Industries Institute
- UniSA College