Overseas Student Health Cover

An important requirement of your student visa is that you have adequate Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) while you are studying in Australia. As a full-fee paying overseas student, your original tuition fees will have included an additional charge for visa length OSHC.

It is your responsibility to ensure you have OSHC coverage for the entire time you are in Australia. Make sure you don’t let it expire!

OSHC covers you for visits to the doctor, some hospital treatment, emergency ambulance cover, as well as limited cover for medicines. You can buy more insurance to cover these extras if you wish.

Seeing a doctor

If you need to go to the doctor or seek health treatment while you are here, you can visit your nearest clinic, being sure you bring your OSHC card with you, and then make an insurance claim later (see more detail below).

Check with whoever is providing your insurance for their advice on visiting the doctor, their claims procedure and what you are covered for.


  • You must keep your address details current at all times. If you change your address you must inform your OSHC provider as well as the University.
  • OSHC is not the same as Medicare, which is the public health care provider for Australian citizens.
  • It is your responsibility to renew your health cover before the expiry date shown on your OSHC card.

Frequently Asked Questions

Who provides OSHC?

Bupa is UniSA's preferred OSHC provider.

You can meet with a Bupa representative on campus or at one of their retail stores:

You are free to choose an OSHC provider of your choice. For information about other OSHC providers see Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) at the Department of Health.

Note: If you enrolled before December 2015, your OSHC provider may be Allianz Global Assistance


What does OSHC cover?

For detail on what you are covered for and any exclusions (dental and optical treatment aren’t included, for example) read the Bupa brochure.


How do I request my OSHC card?

If the University has arranged OSHC on your behalf, you will be covered from the date you arrive in Australia. You can order your OSHC card online when you are in Australia. If you need to access medical services but have not yet received your OSHC card, you can print a temporary certificate from the Bupa OSHC website.

If you have arranged your OSHC with another insurance provider, you must contact your provider directly for information regarding your membership.


How do I make a claim?

You need to take your OSHC card with you whenever you see a doctor. The doctor may ask you to pay for the full cost of the visit. If this happens, ensure that you keep the doctor’s receipt.

To claim a refund from Bupa, speak to a Campus Support Person at your UniSA campus. Bupa also have a number of retail stores conveniently located near UniSA campuses:

There are three ways to claim a refund for Allianz Global Assistance:


What if my home country government has a Reciprocal Health Care Agreement (RHCA) with the Australian government?

If you are in Australia and hold a Student Visa from the United Kingdom, Sweden, the Netherlands, Belgium, Slovenia, Italy or New Zealand, you are covered by Medicare. Students from Norway, Finland, Malta and the Republic of Ireland are not covered by the agreements with those countries.

Note: With the exception of students from Belgium, New Zealand, Norway and Sweden it is a condition of your Student Visa that you purchase OSHC.

Visit Medicare.


How can I find out more?

For general health information and referral to local health services contact Healthdirect Australia on 1800 022 222. This is a FREE 24-hour telephone health advice line. Calls are answered by Registered Nurses who can provide expert health advice about any health issue and what you can do next.


Areas of study and research

+ Click to minimise