University of South Australia Postgraduate Awards (USAPA) - School of Education
About this scholarship
The School of Education at the University of South Australia is seeking applicants for a PhD in Sociology of Education. The PhD is associated with an Australian Research Council Discovery Early Career Researcher Award (DECRA) project. The successful applicant will be awarded a University of South Australia Postgraduate Award (USAPA) which includes a stipend for 3 years and a Research Training Program fee offset scholarship for up to 4 years full-time equivalent. This scholarship is available to Australian citizens, permanent residents of Australia or New Zealand citizens.
The School of Education has a strong research environment focused on social justice and is deeply committed to world-class research performance. It is expected that the individual selected for this program will be highly competitive in the academic job market after completing this program.
The DECRA research project will provide the first detailed account of how gender, ethnicity and social class impact on Australian males from low socio-economic backgrounds as they transition to university. Despite an emphasis on widening participation in the Australian university sector, the path to university is still precarious, particularly for first-in-family students. Males from low socio-economic backgrounds remain severely underrepresented in higher education, and significant gaps exist in our knowledge of how these students experience university life. The PhD project will involve data collection and data analysis of a group of boys entering their first year of university in order to better understand their experiences. A strong interest in gender studies and intersectionality is preferred.
Benefits and Conditions
You must read the Scholarship Benefits and Conditions - Australian Research Degree Students (PDF file, 447 kb) before signing the declaration at the bottom of the application form.
$26,682 per annum (2017 stipend rate) over 3 years with a possible 6 month extension.
How to apply and Closing Date
Apply online – follow the 6-step process.
Interested applicants may contact Dr. Garth Stahl at email@example.com.
The scholarship will remain open until filled
Areas of study and research
- Health Research
- Alliance for Research in Exercise, Nutrition and Activity (ARENA)
- Centre for Cancer Biology
- Centre for Drug Discovery and Development
- Centre for Population Health Research
- Centre of Research Excellence for the Prevention of Chronic Conditions in Rural and Remote High Risk Populations
- International Centre for Allied Health Evidence
- Medicine and Device Surveillance CRE
- Quality Use of Medicines and Pharmacy Research Centre
and Social Sciences
- Art, Architecture and Design
- Communication, International Studies and Languages
- Psychology, Social Work and Social Policy
- Hawke Research Institute
- Asia Pacific Centre for Work Health and Safety
- Australian Centre for Child Protection
- Barbara Hardy Institute
- Centre for Research in Education
- Hawke EU Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence
- Centre for Islamic Thought and Education
- International Centre for Muslim and non-Muslim Understanding
- Research Centre for Languages and Cultures
- Zero Waste SA Research Centre for Sustainable Design and Behaviour (sd+b)
IT, Engineering and
- Future Industries Institute
- UniSA College