Inflammatory response to biomaterials
About this scholarship
Two PhD scholarships are available at the University of South Australia (UniSA) for joint projects between the School of Pharmacy & Medical Sciences and the School of Engineering.
Both Schools provide an exciting, vibrant and world-class research and education supported by excellent research infrastructure and intellectual environment. The strength of our scientists lies in the application of fundamental science to develop knowledge-based technologies that will increase functionality and provide intelligent solutions for tomorrow's high added value industries and medical treatments. Rapid advances and convergence in areas such as materials science, nano-biotechnology, biomaterials and tissue engineering, sensor technology and advanced computing, leading to new products and production processes will radically change the scope of manufacturing in Australia. Through a multidisciplinary approach, our scientists work on research questions of international significance and address major questions across discipline boundaries.
The PhD projects will focus on understanding the immunological response to biomaterials in the context of delivery of vaccines and drug therapies. The projects will tackle grand challenges faced in the modern healthcare and pharmaceutical industry associated with demand for new technics for delivery of vaccines and pharmaceuticals which have greater efficacy. These PhD project will address these needs by developing urgently needed, innovative solutions that are scalable, reproducible, reliable and cost effective.
These 2 scholarships are available to domestic and international research degree students.
The applicants should have completed Honours or MSc Degree and have academic background in one or more of the following Material Science, Chemistry, Physical Chemistry, Cell Biology, Molecular Biology, Immunology, Inflation or related disciplines.
Funding amount is the standard Australian Postgraduate Award (APA) rate per annum.
The duration of the scholarship is three years.
Application and closing date
There is no closing date. The scholarships will remain open for application until filled.
Interested candidates should submit their CV, cover letter and academic transcripts to Associate Professor Krasimir Vasilev at email@example.com and Associate Professor John Hayball at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Areas of study and research
- Health Research
- Alliance for Research in Exercise, Nutrition and Activity (ARENA)
- Centre for Cancer Biology
- Centre for Drug Discovery and Development
- Centre for Population Health Research
- Centre of Research Excellence for the Prevention of Chronic Conditions in Rural and Remote High Risk Populations
- International Centre for Allied Health Evidence
- Medicine and Device Surveillance CRE
- Quality Use of Medicines and Pharmacy Research Centre
and Social Sciences
- Art, Architecture and Design
- Communication, International Studies and Languages
- Psychology, Social Work and Social Policy
- Hawke Research Institute
- Asia Pacific Centre for Work Health and Safety
- Australian Centre for Child Protection
- Barbara Hardy Institute
- Centre for Research in Education
- Hawke EU Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence
- Centre for Islamic Thought and Education
- International Centre for Muslim and non-Muslim Understanding
- Research Centre for Languages and Cultures
- Zero Waste SA Research Centre for Sustainable Design and Behaviour (sd+b)
IT, Engineering and
- Future Industries Institute
- UniSA College