5. Organise referee reports
We require two academic or professional referee reports before we can assess your application.
You will need to contact two academic referees and ask them to submit one referee report each in support of your application to undertake a research degree.
These are specific forms that must be completed. Your nominated referees can download a copy of the Academic Referee Report (RTF file, 532kb) form.
Who can I ask to be a referee?
Your referees should be academic university staff members or professional staff that know you well enough to support your research degree application and may be any of the following:
- A former lecturer
- Course Coordinator/Program Director
- Head of School/Department
- Honours Supervisor
- Masters (Coursework) Supervisor
- Research Degree Supervisor
- Examiner of your thesis
- Employer (please note that your employer must be able to provide details about your research capabilities)
What are my responsibilities?
In your online application, you will need to provide details of your two nominated referees
Ask your referees to advise you that this has been done
The referee reports are confidential so you will not be able to view the content or see them attached to your application.
What are the referees' responsibilities?
Complete all sections of the report
Be able to attest to your research capabilities and your academic performance
Forward the report to firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible but at the latest, one week after you have submitted your online application (if this is not done it may disadvantage you)
Email the Academic Referee Report directly from their official employment email account
Officially sign and stamp the report
We cannot accept referee reports from generic unofficial email addresses (such as Yahoo, Gmail etc.), unless the report includes an official university stamp/seal
We cannot accept reference letters as the information requested in the Referee Reports is used for assessment purposes
We cannot accept reports sent to us from applicants
Areas of study and research
- Health Research
- Alliance for Research in Exercise, Nutrition and Activity (ARENA)
- Centre for Cancer Biology
- Centre for Drug Discovery and Development
- Centre for Population Health Research
- Centre of Research Excellence for the Prevention of Chronic Conditions in Rural and Remote High Risk Populations
- International Centre for Allied Health Evidence
- Medicine and Device Surveillance CRE
- Quality Use of Medicines and Pharmacy Research Centre
and Social Sciences
- Art, Architecture and Design
- Communication, International Studies and Languages
- Psychology, Social Work and Social Policy
- Hawke Research Institute
- Asia Pacific Centre for Work Health and Safety
- Australian Centre for Child Protection
- Barbara Hardy Institute
- Centre for Research in Education
- Hawke EU Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence
- Centre for Islamic Thought and Education
- International Centre for Muslim and non-Muslim Understanding
- Research Centre for Languages and Cultures
- Zero Waste SA Research Centre for Sustainable Design and Behaviour (sd+b)
IT, Engineering and
- Future Industries Institute
- UniSA College