How to apply
A six-step guide
Are you interested in applying to do a research degree at the University of South Australia? Research degree applications are made through our Apply Online facility, a secure step-by-step online service. The majority of research degree scholarships offered by the University of South Australia are also applied for using Apply Online.
But before you apply you need to do some research on your research. Follow our six-step guide through the process of preparing your application to maximise your chances of success.
Please note there is a specific application process for those wishing to apply for a PhD or Masters by Research in Management. Learn more about the application process for the PhD in Management here. Learn more about the application process for the Masters by Research in Management here.
UniSA's main round of entry is in the first half of the calendar year (referred to as Research period 1) which has a preferred commencement date of 18 February. Application closing dates for main round entry are:
- Domestic students applying for University-wide scholarships: 31 October*
- International students applying for University-wide scholarships: 31 August*
- Students applying for other scholarships may need to consider different closing dates: see relevant scholarship pages. Of particular note, international students applying for Endeavour Postgraduate Scholarships must apply to the Graduate Research: Admissions Office.
*The School of Management requires applicants to provide additional documentation and undertake a video interview as part of their assessment. More information regarding the School of Management application process is available here.
Students not applying for a scholarship may apply (and commence) at any time.
Check the research degrees calendar for all key dates.
Find out more about the fee structure for domestic and international students.
International applicants: what you should know
If you are an international applicant it is your responsibility to be aware of any visa and other immigration requirements. Depending on which country you are from, you may need to familiarise yourself with UN and Australian Autonomous Sanctions.
Interested in what our research degree students are up to? Find out more in our Research Edge online newsletter.
Step 1: Check your eligibility
Take the first of six steps towards applying to do a research degree – check whether you are eligible.Go to step 1
Go to Apply Online
Ready to apply now? If you've finished preparing and are ready start your application, go directly to Apply Online.Apply now
Got a question?
Feel free to get in touch with the Graduate Research team if you have any questions.Contact us
Areas of study and research
- Health Research
- Alliance for Research in Exercise, Nutrition and Activity (ARENA)
- Centre for Cancer Biology
- Centre for Drug Discovery and Development
- Centre for Population Health Research
- Centre of Research Excellence for the Prevention of Chronic Conditions in Rural and Remote High Risk Populations
- International Centre for Allied Health Evidence
- Medicine and Device Surveillance CRE
- Quality Use of Medicines and Pharmacy Research Centre
and Social Sciences
- Art, Architecture and Design
- Communication, International Studies and Languages
- Psychology, Social Work and Social Policy
- Hawke Research Institute
- Asia Pacific Centre for Work Health and Safety
- Australian Centre for Child Protection
- Barbara Hardy Institute
- Centre for Research in Education
- Hawke EU Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence
- Centre for Islamic Thought and Education
- International Centre for Muslim and non-Muslim Understanding
- Research Centre for Languages and Cultures
- Zero Waste SA Research Centre for Sustainable Design and Behaviour (sd+b)
IT, Engineering and
- Future Industries Institute
- UniSA College