Students wishing to undertake an honours project and coursework with the PBRC can enrol in the Bachelor of Applied Science (Honours) (Industrial and Applied Mathematics) LHMS and undertake the following units:
First Semester (Study Period 1, 2 or 3)
Honours Topics in Mathematics and Statistics MATH 4047 4.5
Research Methods INFT 4017 4.5
Honours Mathematics and Statistics Project 1 MATH 4045 9
Second Semester (Study Period 4, 5 or 6)
Honours Mathematics Project 2 MATH 4046 9
Elective 1 4.5
Elective 2 4.5
Current research projects of the centre are listed here and students can work on one of these or discuss alternatives with one of our research staff.
Honours Supervisors at the PBRC available to supervise student projects include:
- Professor Stan Miklavcic - Mathematical modelling, plant biophysics, colloid science, partial differential equations, boundary value problems
- Dr Bronwyn Hajek - Fluid dynamics, heat and mass transport, physical chemistry, biological modelling
- Dr Jinhai Cai - Image processing, time series, pattern recognition, artificial intelligence, machine learning
- Dr Zohaib Khan - Image processing, computer vision, hyperspectral imaging, phenotyping
Students choose honours courses and electives from the course offerings listed below. Please note that all course offerings listed here have not been finalised and may be subject to minimum enrolments or be offered as reading courses.
Honours Maths Topics:
- Simulation Theory and Application, Advanced Complex Analysis, Nonlinear Programming, Discrete Optimisation, Applied Functional Analysis, Advanced Topics in Applied Statistics, Numerical Linear Algebra, Introduction to Partial Differential Equations, Computational Biology, Stochastic Calculus, Advanced Operations Research, Optimal Control, Advanced Topics in Applied Mathematics, and Advanced Topics in Optimisation.
Additional topics available from the PBRC could include:
- Image Processing & Computer Vision – SP2 or SP5
- Machine Learning – SP2 or SP5
- Advanced Mathematical Methods – SP2
Honours computing subjects
Two courses that may be of interest are:
- COMP 4008 Data and Web Mining – SP2
- COMP 4015 Computer Graphics – SP5
View full listing here
Possible 3rd year mathematics subjects
- Math 3009 Optimisation – SP2
- Math 2012 Statistical Inference – SP2
- Math 3018/5032 Financial Time Series – SP5
- Math 3030/5036 Multivariate Statistical Analysis – SP5
Topics available via the access grid
Many scholarships are available, with values ranging from around $5,000 up to $10,000. See the Scholarships under honours on the future students page here and contact us for more information and closing dates.
Contact and application information
Application is through the SATAC website here.
Interested students should contact the Director, Professor Stan Miklavcic, or the supervisor whom they are interested in working with to negotiate a project that fits with the student’s background and interests.