UniSA best in the world for brand management researchApril 10 2018
A global study of the impact of business research has ranked the University of South Australia #1 in the world for brand management, with the findings published in the Australian Financial Review BOSS Magazine this week.
Determined by the League of Scholars, the analysis reviewed the academic impact, output, and influence of more than 100,000 business researchers worldwide, finding UniSA to be global leader for brand management research.
The study reinforces what many of the world’s marketers already know. Brands like PepsiCo, ESPN, Kellogg's, Westpac, Mars, and Carlsberg sponsor the research at UniSA’s Ehrenberg-Bass Institute for Marketing Science.
Professor Byron Sharp, Director of the Ehrenberg-Bass Institute, says the #1 ranking shows that the world can look to South Australia for world-class research.
“It proves that in today’s global marketplace you don’t need to be based in London or New York—the Institute is a South Australian success story with a truly global impact,” Prof Sharp says.
Considered the home of ‘evidence-based marketing’ the Ehrenberg-Bass Institute’s long-running research programs attract most of the research income won by marketing academics in Australia.
“It’s because we are unique—the breadth of insights and the focus on scientific laws isn’t available elsewhere,” Prof Sharp says.
“Companies are tiring of consultants and gurus—they want serious evidence, presented in formats they are used to, with recommendations and insights that can really grow their brands.”
Fortunately, for UniSA marketing students, this state-of-the art knowledge is also part of the curriculum.
“Our students learn that marketing is a creative discipline, but that this creativity works best when you also have empirical knowledge about how buyers actually buy and how to manage brands for the future,” Prof Sharp says.
“UniSA marketing students are taught by the world’s top researchers.
“Science has transformed every discipline it has touched,” Prof Sharp says.
“It’s hardly surprising that it’s doing the same in marketing.”
The global rankings are available online.
Areas of study and research
- Health Research
- Alliance for Research in Exercise, Nutrition and Activity (ARENA)
- Centre for Cancer Biology
- Centre for Drug Discovery and Development
- Centre for Population Health Research
- Centre of Research Excellence for the Prevention of Chronic Conditions in Rural and Remote High Risk Populations
- International Centre for Allied Health Evidence
- Medicine and Device Surveillance CRE
- Quality Use of Medicines and Pharmacy Research Centre
and Social Sciences
- Art, Architecture and Design
- Communication, International Studies and Languages
- Psychology, Social Work and Social Policy
- Hawke Research Institute
- Asia Pacific Centre for Work Health and Safety
- Australian Centre for Child Protection
- Barbara Hardy Institute
- Centre for Research in Education
- Hawke EU Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence
- Centre for Islamic Thought and Education
- International Centre for Muslim and non-Muslim Understanding
- Research Centre for Languages and Cultures
- Zero Waste SA Research Centre for Sustainable Design and Behaviour (sd+b)
IT, Engineering and
- Future Industries Institute
- UniSA College