Dorrit Black Building
DB Dorrit Black Building
There is no mistaking the purpose of the Dorrit Black Building. Home to the technical workshops of UniSA's School of Art, Architecture and Design. The building houses ceramic kilns and glass blowing equipment, printmaking and jewellery apparatus, state-of-the-art photography darkrooms, textile, painting and drawing studios and all the machinery required to make furniture, models or work with metal.
Hear from our Senior Technical Officer David Gordon about the workshop here at The University of South Australia's City West campus. The workshop gives students across the entire School of Art, Architecture and Design plenty of space and the equipment to work through an entire development process from concept, development to production giving them hands on experience with machinery and materials.
Hear from our Senior Technical Officer Shane about the Digital Print Workshop here at The University of South Australia's City West campus. The Digital Print Workshop gives students the opportunity to experiment with printing and laser cutting with different material. Students are able to get hands on access to the equipment and extend their design possibilities using technology.
Hear from our Visual Arts (Honours) student Ebony about our Ceramics Studio here at The University of South Australia's City West campus. A large and accessible space with a great range of both gas & electric kilns and a number of throwing wheels, the Ceramics Studio has everything students need to learn and master their ceramics practice.
Hear from honours student Danielle about our Glass Studio here at The University of South Australia's City West campus. In the Glass Studio students can learn from internationally renowned teaching staff and visiting artists to develop their practice.
Hear from our Visual Arts student Zoe about our Sculpture Studio here at The University of South Australia's City West campus. The Sculpture Studios provide students with all the equipment and an accessible space to develop their ideas and push their practice.
Hear from our graduate Sonya about the Printmaking Studio here at The University of South Australia's City West campus. This studio gives students the opportunity to develop a number of printmaking techniques like traditional etching processes and screen printing.
Jewellery & Metal
Hear from our student Tegan about our Jewellery and Metal Studio here at The University of South Australia's City West campus. Students have great access to individual workspaces in this well-equipped workshop and can learn from experienced teachers.
Hear from Studio Head Mark Kimber about the Photography Studio here at The University of South Australia's City West campus. This state of the art studio gives students the opportunity to develop skills in all types of photographic processes from early 19th century processes right up to modern digital technologies.
The Drawing studios are equipped with large mirrors and mobile platforms for models, and plan drawers for storage of student work. The large open studios are filled with natural light and gives students the opportunity to have their own space and still work in a collaborative environment amongst their peers.
The Painting workshop provides large scale benches, drying racks, equipment and tools for stretching and stapling canvas. The studios include an isolated self-contained and ventilated spray booth with compressor and air guns and other safety items for spray painting.
Areas of study and research
- Health Research
- Alliance for Research in Exercise, Nutrition and Activity (ARENA)
- Centre for Cancer Biology
- Centre for Drug Discovery and Development
- Centre for Population Health Research
- Centre of Research Excellence for the Prevention of Chronic Conditions in Rural and Remote High Risk Populations
- International Centre for Allied Health Evidence
- Medicine and Device Surveillance CRE
- Quality Use of Medicines and Pharmacy Research Centre
and Social Sciences
- Art, Architecture and Design
- Communication, International Studies and Languages
- Psychology, Social Work and Social Policy
- Hawke Research Institute
- Asia Pacific Centre for Work Health and Safety
- Australian Centre for Child Protection
- Barbara Hardy Institute
- Centre for Research in Education
- Hawke EU Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence
- Centre for Islamic Thought and Education
- International Centre for Muslim and non-Muslim Understanding
- Research Centre for Languages and Cultures
- Zero Waste SA Research Centre for Sustainable Design and Behaviour (sd+b)
IT, Engineering and
- Future Industries Institute
- UniSA College