Tim Flannery and Ursula Rakova
In-Conversation with Tim Flannery and Ursula Rakova
Thursday 8 March 2018,
6.00pm - 7.15pm
Access Podcast HERE
Presented by the Hawke Centre, in arrangement with WOMADelaide Festival’s Planet Talks Program, a free public lecture delivered by Tim Flannery (Australia) and Ursula Rakova (PNG), discussing the beauty and environmental challenges facing Papua New Guinea.
Tim Flannery is one of the world’s most prominent environmentalists. In 2007 he was named ‘Australian of the Year’, arguably Australia’s highest honour. He delivered the 2002 Australia Day Address to the nation. In 2013 he founded, and is now Chief Councillor, of the Australian Climate Council, Australia’s largest and most successful crowdfunded organisation. His latest book is ‘Sunlight and Seaweed.’ Text Publishing. 2017.
Climate justice advocate Ursula Rakova of Papua New Guinea gives a human face to the challenges faced in the Pacific from environmental degradation. She is a pioneer in Papua New Guinea’s environmental movement and campaigner for the survival of her people.
Born on Papua New Guinea’s Carteret Islands in the Southwestern Pacific, an area which is threatened by rising sea levels. She and her community are among the world’s first climate change refugees. Frustrated by inaction on the part of the Papua New Guinea (PNG) government, Rakova’s community took matters into their own hands and formed Tulele Peisa (“Sailing in the wind on our own”) – a community-based organisation helping to relocate the Carterets’ population to safer ground.
In 2008, Ursula received the Pride of PNG award for her contribution to the environment. She is well respected for her integrity, commitment and conviction to building a strong, transparent, accountable and ecologically conscious civil society movement.
Presented by The Bob Hawke Prime Ministerial Centre in arrangement with WOMADelaide festival’s Planet Talks Program
Areas of study and research
- Health Research
- Alliance for Research in Exercise, Nutrition and Activity (ARENA)
- Centre for Cancer Biology
- Centre for Drug Discovery and Development
- Centre for Population Health Research
- Centre of Research Excellence for the Prevention of Chronic Conditions in Rural and Remote High Risk Populations
- International Centre for Allied Health Evidence
- Medicine and Device Surveillance CRE
- Quality Use of Medicines and Pharmacy Research Centre
and Social Sciences
- Art, Architecture and Design
- Communication, International Studies and Languages
- Psychology, Social Work and Social Policy
- Hawke Research Institute
- Asia Pacific Centre for Work Health and Safety
- Australian Centre for Child Protection
- Barbara Hardy Institute
- Centre for Research in Education
- Hawke EU Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence
- Centre for Islamic Thought and Education
- International Centre for Muslim and non-Muslim Understanding
- Research Centre for Languages and Cultures
- Zero Waste SA Research Centre for Sustainable Design and Behaviour (sd+b)
IT, Engineering and
- Future Industries Institute
- UniSA College